What age do I have to be to rent a vehicle?
The minimum age for all drivers is 21. Drivers aged 21 to 25 are restricted to the types of vehicles they can hire, please contact our Reservation Centre for full details on 1300 654 093
What type of driver’s license do I require?
You need to have a valid full Australian driver’s license and must not have had your license suspended or cancelled in the past 5 years.
What are "City Car Rentals" Rental Terms and Conditions?
Can I check rates without making a reservation?
You may request a quotation and check availability without making a reservation.
What methods of payment do "City Car Rentals" accept?
"City Car Rentalss" Australia accepts all major Credit Cards including Visa, Mastercard, American Express and Diners Card.
"City Car Rentals" Australia does not accept debit cards.
How many free kilometres per day?
For all of our Corporate Locations the following FREE Kilometers apply to the following Vehicle Classes:
Prestige & Luxury Passenger Vehicles 150 Kilometers free per day
How much do additional Time & Kilometers cost?
For all of our Corporate Locations the following cost for additional time and Kilometers applies for the following Vehicle Classes:
Prestige Passenger Vehicles 0.25 cents per Kilometer
Can I tow using a ""City Car Rentals"" Vehicle?
No, a "City Car Rentals" Vehicle cannot be used to tow or push anything, this forms part of the Rental Terms and Conditions.
What happens if I return the vehicle late?
If the vehicle is returned greater than 4 hours late a full days rental is applied.
Can anyone other than myself drive the car?
Nobody can drive a "City Car Rentals" Vehicle whose name does not appear on the Rental Agreement. When collecting the vehicle each driver must be listed on the Rental Agreement and they must present their drivers license at time of collection.
Can I extend the rental duration?
Extending the rental duration is possible at time of check out or during the rental itself. You will need to contact or come in person to the nearest location. The extension is subject to vehicle availability and extra payment.
Can I return the vehicle outside the location operating hours?
Yes, you may return your vehicle when the "City Car Rentals" location is closed, to an alternative location. The vehicle will remain your responsibility until it has been checked by a "City Car Rentals" Representative.
Do I need to check the condition of the vehicle prior to leaving the keys at the counter?
Yes, and if you found a new apparent defect (not listed on the vehicle statement remitted at time of pick up) you have to inform the ""City Car Rentals"" employee for joint examination.
Does ""City Car Rentals"" offer one-way rentals?
If you wish to return the car to a different rental location, please check the rate and feasibility during the reservation process. ""City Car Rentals"" operates a National network in order to allow flexible traveling, however in non-participating locations you will be required to pay a higher price.
Do I need to have an International Drivers License?
If you will be driving for a period that is longer then three (3) months and you have an International Drivers License it will be honored by Australian law. If you plan to stay in Australia for more than three months and intend to drive for that period you are required to obtain an International Drivers Permit.
If I lock my keys in the vehicle, am I covered by Road Side Assistance?
No, Roadside Assistance does not cover non-mechanical defects such as, lost keys, keys locked in the vehicle, flat battery due to lights being left on etc. Costs charged can be obtained by contacting Customer Service on 1300 654 093
Do we charge cancellation Fees?
"City Car Rentals" reserves the right to charge a cancellation fee, please refer to the Rental Agreement.
Can I use another person''s Credit Card to pay for my rental?
Yes, the credit card used for payment of the rental must be in the renter''s name or somebody else''s name and embossed on the front of the card. The card holders signature must appear on the Rental Agreement.
What can I do if I do not have a credit card in my name?
Cash rentals are accepted however there is a cash qualification process, please ask your Reservation Agent at time of reservation.
Where can I not drive the rental vehicle?
The vehicles must be driven on sealed roads at all times and as per the rental terms and conditions you must not take the vehicle:
In the Northern Territory, on the unsealed sections of Larapinta and Namitjira Drivers, commonly known as the "Mereenie Loop" and the unsealed road to Jim Jim and Twin Fall; South of Katherine to the South Australian Border, outside of local towns and city precincts between sunset and sunrise;

To Kangaroo Island or Fraser Island, into or out of the Northern Territory, Tasmania or to any points in Western Australia west of Carnarvon;

In Queensland: Beyond Chillagoe or Georgetown in a westerly direction;

If the Vehicle is a passenger vehicle or truck, beyond Cape Tribulation or Laura in a northerly direction;
If the Vehicle has four wheel drive, beyond Cooktown or Laura in a northerly direction;
Above the snowline in Tasmania, New South Wales and Victoria (being Jindabyne in New South Wales and Bright in Victoria) from 1 June to 30 September each year;
On beaches or through streams, dams, rivers, or flood water.
On flood prone roads or any road way where the Police or any Government Authority have issued a warning or caution;

Examples of some conditions are:
Driving above the snowline
Vehicle is submerged in water
Driving on beaches and/or dry river beds
Proven to be drink driving
Driving off road
Damage to underbody and overhead
Reversing damage (Western Australia Only)
In the event of an accident what am I liable to pay? When you rent a vehicle from ""City Car Rentals"", Third Party Liability cover for Bodily Injury is provided in accordance with the legal requirements of the country of rental.

If you have not paid for one of our protection packages, in the event of an accident, loss or damage to the vehicle or third party property a Damage Liability Fee (DLF) will be charged. This fee is charged regardless of who is at fault or the amount of damage. If the loss or damage is ultimately less then the DLF, part of the DLF will be refunded.
The standard Damage Liability Fee is as follows:
$3,000 Luxury Fleet vehicles
$5,000 for Convertible, Coupe, Sport, Saloon, High Performance Models and 4WD.
What is the difference between Total Protection Package and Loss Damage Waiver?
The Total Protection Package is the option to reduce your Damage Liability. Please refer to City Car Rentals Terms & Conditions
How does "City Car Rentals" protects my personal and credit card information online?
The online reservation service is located on a secure server that guarantees the safety of the transaction. The system uses SSL encrypting technology. SSL works by encrypting all communications between your computer and our server so the information cannot be intercepted. For more about our privacy policy Click Here.
How will I know my On-Line Booking is confirmed?
At the end of the On-Line Booking process you will receive a "Booking Confirmation" e-mail with the Booking number highlighted not less than 24 hours prior to your booking
How can we help?